Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Dad


March 20, 2008. Today is the first day of spring. It is a beautiful day here today, perfectly blue sky. Little cold, but seems nice with the clear sky and bright sun.


Twenty years ago today my Dad died. When I think of that day, I remember it as though it was yesterday. I have often said that no one can prepare you for the loss of a parent. I still know that is the truth. I remember every moment, every decision that we made, everything...
Dad was retired for just a year when he died. I had just gotten over the death of my Grandmother the previous August. In fact, Dad was the one who called me to tell me about her... Anyway, it was a Friday evening when Dad had an aneurysm burst in his brain. Dianne and Derek had just dropped Courtney and Shannon off by their house to babysit. They were still there when Dad just collapsed in his kitchen chair. The ambulance came and took him to St. Joseph's Hospital. The doctors there did surgery to relieve bleeding and pressure in his brain, but didn't give us much hope. Connie and Gordy were in Florida but quickly drove home. Allen came from Hawaii.


Saturday the doctors did a brain scan and told us there was no brain activity. Allen stayed in the hospital room with Dad that night. Sunday morning the doctors advised us there was no hope for survival so we all said our good-byes. Dad very peacefully passed away with all of us around him.
The above photo of Mom and Dad was taken at Connie's wedding, June 1987, less than a year later he was gone.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Thats Beautiful Mom,
Love you :)