Sunday, August 17, 2008

I love summer....

This has been an incredible summer for growing....Well, everything but the flowers I have in planters. My cosmos are so large and beautiful! They are so easy to grow they are definitely a keeper for next year!

I wanted something to climb our lamp post out front of the house. I love Morning Glories so early this spring Dave and I bought 4 little stems, 2 would be red flowers and 2 white. Now we have this huge climbing growth, it is really quite striking, but not one flower. I don't really know if there is something that is needed in the soil out there....but in the meantime we have greenery. The neighbors all comment how beautiful it is. Wonder how pretty it would look with flowers??? It is growing so fast I sometimes think if I sat outside for awhile I could watch it grow.
On to my tomatoes. I love a home grown tomato. This year I planted 6 plants, 5 different varieties. They are growing like crazy too! They are so loaded with tomatoes that the plants are knocking down the cages. The best variety is the grape tomatoes, we have had scores of beautiful large grape tomatoes. They are very sweet. They are large enough to chop up for dishes!


Today Dave went to the hardware store and got some 2 x 2's and pounded them in the ground to hold up our precious plants... Well mine anyway, his favorite are the cucumbers. We have had an abundance of those as well. I told Missy to get ready, we are going to have to can tomatoes this year!

No comments: